Monday, August 2, 2010

My Mentor Don Jones


Recently at tafe we were asked to write a piece on someone who had inspired us. They were to be considered for publication in a magazine while mine was not selected I thought this a good oportuntity to share some of my story with you.

I met Don Jones in early 2003. I was immediately take by his love and knowledge of pottery. Within a short time he had me with clay in hand (for the first time) on the wheel. While not a natural I was hooked from the start with Don guiding the way I slowly got the hang of centering and pulling up walls. Then of course I wanted to make something. Alas, "100 decent cylinders" was the reply from Don. While always encourageing me he wanted perfection.


After a career in the Air Force, Don went into production pottery for over 30years. Perfection was the key and of course if it wasn't round it wasn't pottery. Don is now 87 and fading with time, he does enjoy seeing my new work. His passion for wheel work inspired me to work hard on my forms. Don and his partner Judith Gledhill had their own studio in Trinity Gardens SA in the 70's and 80's making a living from their work.


He was awarded a Fellowship to the SA Arts Association in 1974 and has exhibited widely. A quote of his in the Guild Potter's of SA booklet is "I don't want to be organized - I just want to be left alone to make pots". I can hear the words coming out of his mouth.


I (not eveyone) always found Don willing to share his knowledge with me once he decided I was serious about pottery. Unfortunately just as I was becoming confident in my ability to take full advantage of his knowlede he retired. He passed on his love for the ceramic world and gave me fantastic grounding in wheel work, kiln loading, glaze making and techinques on which to base my ceramic practice, for which I am eternally grateful. Who knows where it may take me in life's journey.


Till next time

Wendy


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Wendy,
I was very interested to read about Don Jones.
I have a turned, lidded butter dish that is inscribed 'd jones'. It is beautifully carefully made with the lid fitting precisely on the base. Do you know if that is how Don signed his pieces?
Regards,
Kerry

Mike Barr said...

Dear Wendy
I was privelaged to have known Don and Judith in the 70s. I used to work at Ceramic Art Supplies in Pulteney St, Adelaide. Don and Judith used to teach at the pottery school there and show in the gallery there to - Thorngate Gallery. When I was 18 I took part in a group show - wine and candles with Don and Judith. Those exhibitions were amazing!
I met Judith a couple of years ago.
cheers
Mike Barr
artofbarr.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Dear Wendy and everyone who reads this and knows the lovely and talented Don Jones (passed away in 2011 sadly),
I met Don in 1998 in Noosa when I was working in a restaurant where he regularly came to eat.We found out that we actually only lived a few metres away in the same street and became great friends.For me, he was like a grandpa but a really nice one who I loved to be around. Years later, when I was back in Australia for a traineeship, Don offered me to stay in his home for free for about 6 months and I felt privilegded to be in his company.
I then had to leave Australia again but always kept this funny and inspiring man in my mind, kept in touch with calls and letters.
Today, very sadly, I called the nursing centre where I last had visited Don. It had been a while that I had bee able to see him and part of me feared the worst. The nurse who answered my call, told me the sad news that Don Jones passed away last year, on 09-10-11. He was 88 years. I am sad that I didn not have the chance to say goodbye to sch a talented beautiful giving kind soul. But I know that there are many who have had the chance to meet Don and learn from him and even today still continue his legacy in the art work he taught them.
Don was a very special man, I feel privilegded to have known him and spend time with him. Rest in Peace Don. Your beautiful work will be forever with us.

Lucy Zawisla, Sunshine Beach

A creative year ahead!

It is the start of a new year so I thought I would try something new, this is it.

So be patient with me I'll get the hang of it eventually, computers aren't my thing. Hopefully it won't get thrown out the window during the process.

Next week I start back at tafe part-time for a 3rd year of Ceramics, mostly for the knowledge that is around the institution. It will be great to get back amongst the energy and like minded people, hopefully it will get the creativity flowing again.

Until next time........

Wendy!